I just packaged up and released chibiArduino v1.01. This release mainly includes support for some new boards that I'll be releasing shortly. The first board will be an 802.15.4/Ethernet gateway that can be used to connect a chibi based local sensor network to the internet. That should be released within the next day or two. The next round of boards coming out afterwards will be long range boards that have powered RF front ends. I'll be explaining more about these boards soon as well.

There is also a bug fix in this version of the stack. A race condition was found in the transmit function. When a frame is transmitted, the radio state machine is put into a transmit state. However if the radio is busy receiving a frame, the state machine won't transition to the transmit state properly. The fix was to check to make sure no frames were being received before transitioning to the transmit state. 

The release links can be found on the chibiArduino page here :)

I finished a debugging session yesterday where I had to hunt down a troublesome bug in the chibiArduino stack. It was first brought to my attention last week by a user of the chibiArduino stack who couldn't figure out why it would hang sometimes. He was running four devices with each device broadcasting every 0.1 seconds. It unwittingly created a an interesting stress test in the form of a broadcast storm with an average packet being sent and received by each node every 25 msec. This exposed a problem that I hadn't encountered before, which is strange since I feel like I've used the stack quite a bit.

Before I begin, I'd like to announce that there's an update to the chibiArduino stack with a bug fix in it. You can get it by going here. The rest of this post is long and somehow turned into a story about the hunt for this bug so I'm making the announcement at the beginning for those not interested in hunts for nasty bugs :)

Whew! I can't believe how much work it was to coordinate the software release of the library and hardware release of the boards together. There was documentation flying all over the place, furious coding, testing on multiple OSes, screenshots, long photography sessions, and somewhere in there, hardware and software testing. I'm glad I did it though because I've been wanting to release a new version of the Freakduino for a long time. Seriously, I've been wanting to do it since 2011, but a series of events changed my whole life. Ha ha ha...

Hi everyone.

I made some bug fixes to the chibiArduino stack. The main fix is to prevent the wireshark bridge firmware crashing when there is heavy traffic. It was a stupid mistake where I had the wrong data type for checking to make sure the buffer didn't overflow. That's been fixed so if you're running WSBrige under heavy network traffic or if you're using a large radio buffer with heavy traffic, then you should see the behavior become much more stable. 

There are some other minor fixes as well and I also added support for the AT86RF212 and the AT86RF231. Hopefully there should finally be some interesting stuff coming out soon. Things were too crazy the past year and a half with all the stuff going on in Tokyo Hackerspace and Safecast. 

Anyways, that's about it. Here's the link to the project page:

Link

 

I just released the latest version of the chibiArduino code. There are two main changes:

1) The code was modified and tested to be compatible with the Arduino v1.0 IDE as well as previous versions.

2) The code has been moved to github.

I think that's about it. Sorry I didn't make the changes for the Arduino 1.0 compatibility sooner. It was actually pretty painless. The move to github is nice too. Its much nicer to have the repo online rather than having to juggle the version control on my local computer. 

Here's the project link:

Link to chibiArduino Project